Harris Hill Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a kitchen fire at 645 pm 12-9-2020. When firefighters arrived on location, the fire was out. The cause of the fire was an air fryer. Firefighters checked for extension and removed the items from the house. No firefighter or civilian injuries were reported! As a reminder, with the upcoming winter season, residents should ensure the fire hydrants near their homes are clear from snow! Fortunately, the home only really suffered minor smoke damage, which was more of an odor issue than anything else. Firefighters assisted in removing the stove which will no longer be able to be used. In total, 40 firefighters signed in
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document