Amherst Central Fire Alarm Office
500 John James Audubon Parkway
Amherst, NY 14228
716-689-1212/ Fax 716-689-1229
NATURE OF INCIDENT: BEDROOM FIRE
DATE & TIME OF INCIDENT: 03/06/2020 @ 02:08
ADDRESS OF INCIDENT: 8480 ERICSON DR.
TOWN: WILLIAMSVILLE, NY 14221
INITIAL FIRE DEPARTMENT RESPONDING: HARRIS HILL FIRE DEPT
OFFICER IN CHARGE OF INCIDENT: CHIEF MICHAEL SCHREIBER
OTHER FIRE COMPANIES ASSISTING: E. AMHERST FIRE DEPT., MAIN-TRANSIT FIRE DEPT., BOWMANSVILLE FIRE DEPT
OTHER AGENCIES INVOLVED/ASSISTING: TWIN CITY AMBULANCE, ERIE COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPT., CLARENCE FIRE INSPECTORS OFFICE, NYSEG, NATIONAL FUEL, EVEREADY EMERGENCY ENCLOSURES.
DAMAGE ESTIMATES: Structure - $ 150,000
Contents - $ 75,000
Total - $ 225,000
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: RESIDENT REPORTED A BEDROOM FIRE AT 02:08. HARRIS HILL CHIEF SCHREIBER ARRIVED ON LOCATION AT 02:13 AND REPORTED SMOKE SHOWING AND AT 02:14 CONFIRMED A BEDROOM FIRE. BULK OF THE FIRE WAS KNOCKED DOWN AT 02:34. THE FIRE WAS CONFINED TO THE BEDROOM.
TWIN CITY AMBULANCE TRANSPORTED 1 PERSON TO MILLARD SUBURAN, 1 PERSON WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL IN A PRIVATE VEHICLE, INJURIES UNKNOWN.
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document