From FBNY, Audio Credit to Erie Co. Fire Wire Main-Transit Firefighters responded on 7/20/21 at 1625 Hrs for a report of a structure fire on Earhardt Dr. at Premium PPE. Fire Inspector 5 went on location reporting a working fire. Main Transit 9-1 went on location with a working commercial building fire. The 2nd alarm mutual aid was requested for 2 additional Ladders to the scene. Main Transit 9 reported heavy fire on the roof and requested a Hazmat response for chemicals inside the building. Command requested the 3rd alarm mutual aid to the scene and reported the East side wall was compromised and possible collapse. Command ordered defensive operations & further reported cyanide chemicals inside the building. Mutual aid companies to the scene and fill in were East Amherst, Clarence, Clarence Center, Clarence Hazmat, Harris Hill, Williamsville, Swormville, Snyder, Akron, Getzville, Eggertsville, Ellicott Creek, North Bailey, Rapids, Newstead, North Amherst, U-Crest, Hy-View, Cleveland Hill, South Line, Forks, Alden, Twin District, Crittenden, Millgrove, Bowmansville, Brighton Hazmat, Kenilworth, River Road, Sheridan Park, Orchard Park, Buffalo-Niagara ARFF, City of Buffalo, City of Rochester, Niagara Falls Air Reserve Base, Pembroke, East Pembroke, Corfu, Alabama, Wolcottsville, Shelby, Darien, & Indian Falls.
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document