On July 10, 2022, 8-year-old Emily Fritzinger was in her backyard when she found her aunt suffering from a medical emergency and was under water in their pool. Emily alerted her family members, who in turn called 911 and rescued her aunt from the pool. Harris Hill firefighters, along with our partners from Twin City Ambulance arrived on scene and medical care was provided. She was then transported to a local hospital for further evaluation and treatment.
Tuesday August 9th, we presented Emily with a “Hero Award" for her bravery in helping during this life-threatening emergency. It’s because of Emily’s quick actions that her aunt is still here with us today!
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document