JANUARY 23, 2020
Main-Transit Firefighters respond to Structure Fire in Amherst
Main-Transit Fire Department of Amherst, NY responded to a report of a garage fire at 110 Sixth Ave at 3:19 PM on January 23, 2020. Firefighters arrived on location in under six minutes and found fire conditions in the garage of the residence. Firefighters immediately began extinguishing the fire and performed overhaul and salvage operations after the fire had been extinguished.
Thirty four Main-Transit Firefighters and firefighters from Williamsville Fire Department and Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Department responded with five engines, one aerial ladder, and one heavy rescue. Fire Chief Daniel Hooper commanded the response. The incident is still under investigation through the Amherst Fire Inspectors office and the Amherst Police Department. There were no reports of injury or illness from civilians or firefighters on the scene.
It should be noted that the homeowner closing their man door between the garage and residence after discovering the fire assisted in containing the fire and minimizing the damage to the rest of the residence.
Main-Transit Fire Department was assisted by the Amherst Police, Town of Amherst Fire and Building inspectors, the Amherst Central Fire Alarm Office, Twin City Ambulance and Town of Amherst Emergency Services office.
Any further questions may be answered by calling Fire Chief Daniel Hooper at 716-632-9710 ext 111. Thank you in advance.
Main-Transit Fire Department"
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document