A busy Sunday with the Bills playing, but our firefighters are taking full advantage of the seasonable weather and making chili for our monthly meeting tomorrow night. Eating together after our monthly meetings helps our crews feel more like family, which in turn helps our firefighters perform better as a team during critical incidents. A special thank you to this group of guys for dedicating their Sunday to make sure our crews can share a meal together tomorrow night. Interested in what we do? Stop by the fire station any Wednesday night at 6:30pm or sign up at www.hhvfc.com
The History of the Harris Hill Volunteer Fire Company
The formation of a volunteer fire company at Harris Hill was underway in October of 1936 with twenty-three men signifying their intention of becoming charter members.
The Harris Hill Volunteer Fire company would be incorporated on January 7th, 1937, with John H. Farrell acting as President and Chief to fifty brand new firefighters. The bi-monthly meetings were held at various members homes, the school basement, or The Rose Garden on Wehrle Dr. They battled fires with one truck and didn’t even have an established district until 1939. Some of their first equipment included a dozen rubber coats and boots they purchased for $10.50.
To raise operating funds, the new fire company held "Smoker Parties" every few months. The first Monte Carlo party required an outlay of $209.55 and returned $210.85. An annual picnic and carnival was held on Saturday July 20th, 1940. The affair was open to the public and attracted hundreds. The signing of a Fire Protection contract with the Town of Clarence in 1941 eased financial worries. The Town of Clarence paid 1/10th of the assessed valuation of all homes in the district. At the time of signing, it came to about $550.00.
Please click the link below to see the full document